Saturday, January 15, 2011

Surprise Performance

Since Drew and I were pretty much "snowed in" or chose to stay most of this week, I had some fun quizzing him on what he understands. I was very amazed to say the least. I didn't know that an 8 month old's brain was so understanding. I mean I knew that he was learning new things every day and I try to talk to him, sing, read books etc. to help him learn, but I had no idea that he would respond to my testing. I simply put a row of items that he loves in front of him and asked him "Where is___" and he actually responded by picking the item up! He was proud to lunge towards one of his books when I asked him and patted it enthusiastically.

I guess I am in denial that my little baby will soon be up and being an active member of society before I know it. I think I still view him as just an addition to my own being, like he is still part of me. He has been doing more and more physical tricks like clapping, pulling up, and scooting across the floor, but this seemed to really catch me by surprise. I guess the baby books don't include things like this cause they don't want to pressure parents to drill their children, even though they put pressure on you to have them crawling etc. by certain times.
Probably he is capable of a lot more, what if I am I holding him back? Or is he crazy smart like too much so that he has a problem (like autism or something)? Or maybe this is right in line with where he should be, how would I know? He is the only 8 month old I have spent a lot of time with so he is my current standard (oh the shadow of Drew that my future kids will walk in :) Seems like every day I learn something new too! Anyways, I'm not going to test him too much, but I did do it one more time for the video to show how big my little guy is getting. Including what this video shows, he can identify the following objects:
1. Ball
2. Book
3. Duckie
4. Lion
5. Tigger
6. Eyes
7. Water
8. Cheerio
9. Bear and Kitty Cat (only can do using process of elimination)
10. Probably more that I just haven't asked! Please tell me this isn't crazy! Does he know too much or too little? Are you reading this and saying, "Well my child knew those of course! He's doing good!" or saying, "Uh oh, he seems obsessive". I know I might seem obsessive, but really I'm mostly just really proud of him and will always be impressed with new things he can do. I think it is pretty normal to worry about how your child is comparing to others though, even though I will always love him just the way he is. He might be getting bigger, but he will always be my sweet baby. Love him!




On another note he also started biting me...hmm not so sure I like teeth marks in my leg. He pulls hair and bites. He better stop that before he gets to preschool or he will be every one's nightmare!
Oh and he can do "High Five" and "How big is Drew? So Big!" Seems like he has a new trick every day! Even before I finally get this post done!

4 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

I think that's great! And in my limited opinion, every kid seems to be different in development. I always find myself comparing to cousins, and usually he's behind in some, ahead in others, and right on track with the rest. Who knows, but Drew seems healthy, happy, cute as a button, and Mr. Smarty-pants!

Nana said...

What a smart little guy! I'm so impressed!!

Auntie Lynn said...

Honestly? I think this is amazing! What a smart little guy! I wouldn't worry about anything; just keep doing like you are doing!

Anonymous said...

You gotta post a crawling video! We saw him start over night literally! One day not crawling, the next day all over the kitchen! kris